Sunday, April 6, 2008

the Fabric market in Delhi

I had been hearing about the fabric market at Nehru Place for awhile, but decided to wait for Lori to go there, since she is a big sewer. It is a bit different than a traditional market idea, because it is large shops, side by side. But we were completely blown away - this is like Jo-Ann's on steroids! And a whole street of it! Each shop was pretty big, then it had a basement or an upstairs or both. One place had a whole room of JUST EYELET!!! white, cream, ecru, brown. with small holes, medium holes, large holes. Every design you could imagine. It was incredible.





Of course, we bought stuff. The hard part was getting your eyes to notice any particular thing. It is hard to choose when faced with so many options. One store, tho, I was heading up the stairs and my eye caught on a piece of red and white fabric (80 rupees a metre - that's less than 2 dollars). I bought it for a kurta (the tunic-type tops everyone wears here). I LOVE it! And I think if you DO see one specific thing in all that chaos, you better go with it! I had it stitched for about $4. Only problem is, it looks great with white pants, except under the tunic the pants go pink! But it washes out.




This is Nehru Place - fabric and electronics, among other things. Can you see Lori and Christelle?? Isaac bought some computer games here another time (knock-off of course, and they were no good) and I had a printer cartridge refilled (after which it promptly leaked all out into the bag). (India tops the "buyer beware" list, I think). After all that shopping, we needed to eat. So throwing Lori to the wolves, we ordered food at this dhaba - Chinese, tho, not Indian. About $1.50. Iit was pretty good! And as I said, no one sick :) We also got fruit drinks, but we got them in disposable cups, especially after we saw this guy washing the glass ones. And I use the term "washing" VERY loosely. GROSS!!
He is just sitting in the middle of the street. With that nasty brown pan of water. ICK!
Next up, a visit to my favorite market, Sarojini Nagar.

1 comment:

Sugarfrog said...

Could you please tell me the fabric store's name at nehru Place? I am going next week and wanted to find out. Thanks.