Saturday, October 4, 2008

Miranda's Baptism!! (finally...)

Well, only 4 months after Miranda's 8th birthday, we finally had her baptism. The delay was mostly because she turned 8 just a few days before we headed home to Canada for the summer, and she had decided she wanted to be baptized in India. It was a very small group - our family and the Barnes family, and Sister Stella, the Primary President. We even had to go upstairs and pull a missionary out of a meeting so we would have enough witnesses! It was very nice - Isaac said the opening prayer, Sam and Alex gave the talks, Miranda and Kiera Barnes sang with Isaac on the violin. It was fun to be baptized outside in the backyard of the church! And later, after brownies and pop (her choice) she came home and opened some cool presents. (we don't usually do that, as the other kids were quick to point out!) I had made for her a scrapbook of just her, with a written message from Randy and I and the other kids. Aunt Kari made a pretty neat "quiet book" with scripture cards, and Grandma Brooks gave her a Baptism scrapbook, which she LOVES, and we have worked on for several days now. The vandenBusches even sent a gift! Miranda was pretty excited to be baptized, and we are proud of her. It feels like a big step to have all our family now official members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints!
I am adding these photos of the outside of the Church building which I took months ago and have never posted.
We meet in the bottom two floors of a 4 story house, and yes, people live upstairs. The first photos are inside the chapel area in the basement. The font is at the end of the driveway. There is a guard there full-time, since there are not really any outside doors. As I type this, I see that I need more photos to explain it properly - it is pretty different from church buildings at home!
PS if you go back to May you can read about her birthday!

5 comments:

Mr. Smith said...

Congratulations to Miranda!

I am so happy to read your blog, it may be one of the few chances I have to find out what is going on in Delhi!

I have a spot on my blog where I link to other Delhi blogs, but I won't do it without your permission because I have people I don't know (some of them are even Indians from Delhi) reading my blog.

Mr. Smith said...

Oops. This is Mrs. Smith, not Mr. Smith.

Bonnie said...

Congratulations Miranda! It's great to see you and your Dad in your whites all ready for the big event. Love you, Grandma

Merinda Cutler said...

So jealous! Part of the reason we decided to stay in India (before the silly company decided we didn't have the choice!) was because Isaac really wanted to be baptized there. He was just baptized last month, and it just isn't quite so special when you are one of 10 or so kids in your stake and they churn them through like an assembly line. But the significance was not lost on us anyway. Family came from all over and it was special and spirit-filled. But it was one of many moments when I feel nostalgic for the church in India.

michele said...

Congratulations, Miranda! The kids and I have had fun following your adventures in India on your mom's blog, but this is a great adventure we can all relate to. :)

The Johnstons