Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Stuff I saw today - Tuesday Jan 27 2009

OK, so I haven't posted for quite awhile, and looking at the sheer numbers of photos we take (about 800 each in Dec and Jan!!) makes me feel completely overwhelmed. Also, I am taking photos like crazy, because we are now in our last 4 or 5 months here and I am scared I will not get pictures of everything insane I see. So, today I made a trip to the bank, and took photos as I usually do. Without making any extra effort to notice the crazy stuff, this is some of what I saw...

construction is everywhere - never ends - is not organized or planned. Sohna Road (the main road that goes by our apartments) has been re-paved twice since we came, and now they are making plans to widen it. They are also finally putting sewer and water lines in (thus the huge pipes) after they rip up the new paving to lay them.


Kids get out of school early here - generally they go for a half day. And when they let out it is so cute to see so many little uniforms running around.





The dichotomy of all those skyscapers behind all those pieced together tents never fails to get me. Notice the bed the woman and kid are on - they are woven ropes on a wood frame. There is one in front of the other tents too. Usually there is someone on them. She has these pots to sell.
washing his clothes



wild pigs are everywhere, altho we don't usually see them running across the road!
These rickshaws pick up the garbage. When you see them out of the colonies and neighbourhoods it is because they are full, and heavy.
This is a garbage truck, with sorted garbage.







A weird truck-thing.




Every street corner looks like this, all the time, every day. I have said it before, and I cannot over-state it - there are people EVERYWHERE. everywhere. all the time. you can NEVER look anywhere and not see people. so wild.

A guy taking a ride with barrels. Ok.
I took this photos to show all the bikes parked under this tower. The military guy with his gun was a bonus. We see it pretty often, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for where and when they are stationed, and they don't seem to be actually doing anything. Everywhere guys are doing manual labour you see so many bikes, because of course that is the most common form of transportation.
Shave and a haircut, two bits. Ok, actually about 4 bits! but look at the open-air salon and deluxe surroundings you get for that!
This is along MG Road - the main drag past all the posh malls and many expensive apartments. This is sewage. Nice, eh?




Get cozy!
Tractors are commonplace. These giganto loads are not rare either.

No comments: