Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I WIN! I WIN! score one for mouthy "Americans"

Well, apparently the squeaky wheel gets the grease in India too. Today the school bus came TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD to pick up the kids.

Yay for me! It is so nice - no more walking down that dusty road, dodging the trucks and rickshaws and bikes to cross, no more long detours around the huge lakes that show up whenever it rains the least little bit, no more skirting the smelly piles of rotting vegetables that the shop owners just throw into the street, no more staring from people that act like they have never seen a whitey before.
However, there is a downside - we have seen some pretty cool/crazy stuff while waiting for the bus, like the public bus with 15 guys on the roof that always wave to me because I took their picture a few times, and the motor-rickshaws that park right in the middle of the intersection and cram in vast numbers of people, and the cute little puppy that hung out outside the gate and came very close to being adopted. So I will miss some of those things. But only a little!!!! Hurray for mouthy foreigners!!

No comments: