Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Cheap Vegetables (one really good thing about India)

I have recently found a place that delivers produce to my door. And it is good-looking produce, and it is cheap. This is an order I got that looked particularly good. Notice how red the carrots are! And how white the mushrooms are! Doesn't it all look good??! And this from a woman who really prefers her vegetables to have a Green Giant logo on the bag :) You CAN buy frozen vegetables here, but they are really gross, and by that I mean not edible. And there is really no such thing as canned anything here. If you see it, it is imported and therefore stupidly expensive. So I am actually buying and cooking fresh. That doesn't mean the kids like it, but that is what I am beginning to do. (Can you tell what everything is? Peas, sweet potatoes, baby potatoes, carrots, beans, cabbage, mushrooms, lemons, coconut, cucumber, peppers) For interest's sake, I will give you some prices. I think they are incredible. (I think this order was about $4.00)

(all you Yankees, keep in mind that a kg is 2.2 lbs)

Baby potatoes 8 rupees or 20 cents/kg

Mushrooms 15 rupees or 38 cents a pkg (pkg is about 200 g)

Carrots 9 rupees or 23 cents/kg

Peas in the pod 18 rupees or45 cents/kg

Red onion (the only kind I ever see) 9 rupees/kg

Peppers - green 18 rupees/kg yellow and red 130 rupees or $3.25/kg

Cucumber 14 rupees or 35 cents/kg

Sweet potatoe 12 rupees or 30 cents/kg These are not like at home - they are white inside, very starchy and dry and I won't buy them again. Very sad, because I LOVE sweet potatoes.

Tomatoes 8 rupees or 20 cents/kg

Eggs are 2.5 rupees each, order how ever many you want.

There are lots of strange things available here - long white radishes, tiny little lemons, weird bumpy gourds, coconuts (25 cents each), herbs, etc etc. One funny thing is the ordering list - I often have to read it out loud to figure out what it is because they just spell phonetically how they say it with their thick accent. For example, sallery or sttawarry or fuzi apple. Say them out loud and you can maybe get it. Ordering over the phone is always a fun 20 minutes.

One other thing to note - the tied-up bag in the front is a freebie they always send. I have no idea what it is (and I always send it home with the maid), some herb with chilies. Once Alex was messing with it, just checking it out, then she touched her eyes and they were burning! So then we realized we wanted nothing to do with it! Way too hot.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

You'll have sticker shock when you start buying in America again.