Saturday, March 15, 2008

Bobette's birthday

For my birthday, Alex and the Taylor twins (that's Harmony on the left and Cumorah in the middle) made me a cake! It wasn't the prettiest thing ever but I didn't have to make it so that is ok. And Randy sent me flowers! They arrived on a motorcycle (with 2 guys, of course) and they didn't live too long, but it was a nice gesture. We didn't have birthday candles, but we got some taper candles for free somewhere when we had first arrived, so we used one of those. They drip.
You may notice there is NOT a big pile of presents - that is because I did all my own gift shopping this year, and I did it early! I bought myself an oven! The apartment came with a microwave/convection combo oven but Harmony broke the door when she and Alex were baking something (OK not really her fault - it was almost broken already- she just finished it off!) and I had to wait nearly 2 MONTHS for them to repair it. They came, two at a time, often, but never with the right parts, or anything. I got VERY tired of not being able to bake
anything (and living without
a microwave is NOT good!) and Christelle bought an oven and I was jealous so I bought one too! It is really good - pretty much an oversized toaster oven, but it has pretty even heat, it has a rotisserie (and I roasted a chicken and it worked great!), when the power goes off then comes back on it starts back up (unlike the microwave which has to be reset everytime, so if you don't notice that the power was off....) and I can cook on more than one rack at a time. The bad news is that all the pizza pans and cookie sheets that I brought from home to use (very hard to find here since ovens are rare) DO NOT FIT!!! I bought the more square shape and I should have bought the more rectangular one. Didn't think about it until it was much too late. So that is sad, but otherwise I am very happy. I also bought myself a coat. A long, imported, expensive PURPLE coat!! SOOOOOO cute! No photos, since it is way past coat weather. Which is how I got a great deal and felt I could afford said coat. You will see it LOTS in the photos this fall. For now, I get to admire it in the closet. :)

No comments: