Monday, March 24, 2008

part XIV the private bath on the side of the road

OK so here is something we saw SO much during the drive - people washing at the village pumps. All the pumps looked the same, and each village seemed to have 2 or 3, right along the road. Now in Gurgaon and Delhi, you see men washing behind water trucks, and in streams, but I had not seen women or children, and I had never gotten a decent photo. And this is not to be a voyeur, I just find it so amazing that this is how it is done. And in all these villages we drove through, it was going on constantly. I guess when 300 people have one pump...




The men strip down to their underwear and get right to it - lathering up and rinsing. They just get dressed again wet. The women have a more difficult time (typical. This is NOT an easy place to be a woman.) They use their sari to cover up while they wash one side then move the sari and wash the other. There really is no privacy - we saw it several times as we drove by - and the sari is not a very efficient cover.
















This was the first time I had seen these water pots made of metal. I wonder how far these girls haul water every day and how many trips thay have to make.










We saw these elevated beds in the shade all the time. I do not know what the deal is, I don't think it is a residence, but there was usually someone having siesta.

No comments: