Saturday, December 8, 2007

Got milk?



I love milk. Really. And that should be easy to get when you live in a country that loves their cows, right? Well, sort of. Milk here comes in a box. And it tastes TERRIBLE!! Yuck. The aftertaste completely ruins it. Even cereal is barely tolerable. Blech. I had just about resigned myself to two years without milk when Anita and Suba told me about Mother Dairy milk - fresh milk that comes in a bag. (500ml per bag) It SAYS it is pasteurized, but I guess everybody boils it again to make sure.


So I tried it, and YAY! barely any aftertaste. It is also half the price, and I can get it at the little store out by the bus stop. The boiling was a hassle tho - I boiled it over once or twice, burnt it once, etc etc. Then one day I was out shopping with Anita and Suba, and Suba casually pointed out this pot and said "oh yeah that's a milk boiler". WHAT?! Who knew. It is cool - you fill the middle of the double-walled pan with water, put the milk in and put it on the heat. It holds exactly 2l - right to the top.


When the milk gets to the right temputure, the water in the wall cavity boils and it whistles, then you go turn off the heat. SO easy! Wait a bit, pour it into a pitcher, let it cool and put it in the fridge. Very painless, and it tastes great. The only problem is that since the bus comes into the neighborhood, sometimes I am late getting the milk and they are out of non-fat, and then the cream seperates and has to be skimmed. The kids HATE that!

1 comment: