Monday, December 17, 2007

the high-tech world of key cutting in India

I needed a spare key, so naturally I stopped on the side of the road at the Key Man to get one cut. Or filed, which is really how it works.He did have vice grips and calipers, and a nice selection of files. You know, all the latest gear.

It cost me 80 rupees for a brass key (which I thought was steep, but he didn't budge) and of the 2 he made, one worked. So really it was 160 rupees!
It cracks me up that you can get pretty much anything you want on the side of the road. And where is this guy when it rains?
I especially liked the "store" next to the Key Man, which I noticed halfway thru the key cutting, as a motorcycle pulled over and came in for "service".
Check out the name... "R.K. Auto Works". Like it isn't just a spot of dirt! Oh well, might as well think big!

No comments: